If you’ve ever been on a powerful mission to get healthier, eat better, and be consistent with your exercise routine, you may have noticed that certain friends and family aren’t in love with your new-found dedication. And it’s not because they don’t love you. It’s because it’s hard for them to see you change. Maybe they think you won’t be able to have as much fun because you’ll stop being as social. Maybe they’re irritated by your refusal to eat something they just baked. Maybe they’re upset that you declined Saturday morning mimosas in favor of hitting the gym. I’m here to tell you that this is normal, that you can’t give into the pressure, and to help you understand why this is happening.
Food for thought
Today let’s chat about two food classifications that can either make or break your ability to stay on track with your nutrition and avoid giving into cravings: buffer foods and trigger foods. Buffer foods are foods that allow you to, with a small amount of indulgence, get rid of the cravings and thereby take in far fewer calories than you would have if you gave into the craving. Buffer foods typically include things like peanut butter, green smoothies, extra dark chocolate (or other items with cocoa). Think foods that give you the sweet or fat sensation but that you don’t want to eat a whole lot of.
It’s commonly talked about that reducing stress is a crucial part of attaining or maintaining your health. But what if I told you there’s a kind of stress that’s actually really beneficial? It’s self-imposed stress – stress that you choose to undergo by putting yourself outside of your comfort zone. It’s growth-based stress.
I can’t quite remember where I heard it, but somewhere I once heard someone say that their deepest desire in life is to not leave an ounce of potential behind when they’re gone. It made me re-evaluate how I live in each major area of my life – health/fitness, relationships, business, finance, and much more. It still helps me focus on constant improvement in each area. It’s important to consider the legacy you will leave behind. How do you want to be remembered?
Nearly everyone we have worked with has had to overcome some mindset issues around food. If you’ve ever experienced guilt around food, this message is for you. I understand. I see people all the time beat themselves up for eating that piece of cake or for eating junk food all weekend. Judging themselves and their inability to make the “right choices” 100% of the time. But I’m here today to tell you that it does you no good for several reasons:
The choices you make throughout the day every day ultimately create a snowball effect in your life. The little things that may seem insignificant in the moment eventually can add up to a massively successful life or a life of disappointment. Today I want to make you aware of those tiny yet indescribably important choices…because they are CHOICES. If you choose to skip a workout for a day, is it a big deal? No – of course not! But what happens when you make that choice repeatedly? Maybe it starts over the course of a week, then before you know it, it’s been a month, a quarter, a year…
It’s estimated that humans today are exposed to over 8,000 marketing messages every single day. Wow. And with the prevalence of social media, everyone’s opinion is more apparent than ever before. And to add to that, all of your friends suddenly seem to be “health experts.” They’re promoting a “life changing” product of some type that will solve all of your health/fitness/nutrition/body woes. But all of these messages start contradicting each other and you wonder who is selling the right product, which magazine provides the most solid advice, and if you need to be doing cardio or weight training to reach your goals. I get the confusion. If I wasn’t a fitness professional I have no doubt I would succumb to it too.
You will become what you believe you are. It’s a fact. It’s the self-fulfilling prophecy. So, if you tell yourself that you’re a fat failure on a daily basis – guess what you become? If you tell yourself you’re sick or injured constantly, you will be.
Our goal here at Movimento Fitness is to teach you to live and eat in a way that is sustainable long-term. No yo-yo diets or quick fixes here! As you know, we run nutrition based challenges throughout the year that really require you to step up your nutritional compliance, but for the most part, we encourage you to follow the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time you’re eating on plan foods – protein, vegetables, fruits, good fats, and some good fibrous carbs. The other 20% you get to do as you please. Now, don’t gorge yourself. A 20% meal doesn’t mean eating an entire pizza. It does mean enjoying the foods you love but with more consciousness.