Ah, the Holidays. We love this time of year because it’s full of good food, good friends, and good holiday drinks. But as you know, too much of a good thing can turn into a bad thing quickly.
If you caught our blog post, you’re already equipped with some good tips on how to avoid those high-calorie holiday meals for the sake of your fitness goals.
But what about those delicious holiday cocktails? The beer, the wine, the endless rum and eggnogs.
You can dodge the stuffing and mashed potatoes all you like, but if you drink all your calories from a cranberry garnished glass for the sake of the season, you can just as easily derail your progress.
The best way to keep yourself in check is to educate yourself on the value of what you’re consuming. Here is your guide to what goes into those holiday beverages that you can look to for some holiday cheer(s)!
Average calories: 165-240/250 ml
Average sugar: 1-6 g
Average calories: 187-310/250ml
Average sugar: 1-2 g
Average calories: 175-225/250ml
Average sugar: 4g
Average calories: 100-150/250ml
Average sugar: 0-1g
Average calories: 130-150/250ml
Average sugar: 30 g
Try this healthier alternative recipe!
- 1 can diet sparkling cranberry juice
- 2 shots lime vodka
- 1 lime
- fresh cranberries and limes for garnish
- In two cocktail glasses filled with ice, pour a shot of vodka in each.
- Squeeze the juice from a half of lime in each glass.
- Top the vodka and lime off with cranberry juice.
- Garnish with fresh cranberries and lime slices.
Rum & Eggnog
Average calories: 400-550/250ml
Average sugar: 20 g
Try this healthier alternative that has only 90 calories per serving!
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 large strips of orange and/or lemon zest
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- White rum or bourbon (optional)
- Freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish
- Combine 1 1/2 cups milk and the citrus zest in a medium saucepan. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds; add the seeds and pod to the saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, egg yolk, sugar, and cornstarch in a medium bowl until light yellow.
- Gradually pour the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly, then pour back into the pan. Place over medium heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon in a figure-eight motion until the eggnog begins to thicken (about 8 minutes). Remove from the heat and immediately stir in the remaining 1/2 cup milk to stop the cooking. Transfer the eggnog to a large bowl and place over a larger bowl of ice to cool, then chill until ready to serve.
- Remove the zest and vanilla pod. Spike the eggnog with liquor, if desired, and garnish with nutmeg.
We know it can be hard to make healthy choices during the Holidays! And we’re not saying you should totally deprive yourself of your holiday favourites!
Like everything else in life, keeping your food and drink intake in moderation is the key to a balanced lifestyle and keeping you on track for the rest of the year.
If you need more tips to help you get through the holidays, we’re here to help! Check out our next blog posts with holiday and health-friendly recipes!
~ Cheers from the Movi Team!