Are you tired of eating the same old snacks? Are you over eating plain apples and processed granola bars every day?
We know the donuts in the lunchroom are tempting, but with a little planning, you can prep snacks that will leave you even more satisfied—without compromising taste!
Check out these 5 healthy snack ideas that will give you the energy you need to power through the work day!
5-Ingredient Peanut Butter Energy Balls
The best part about this recipe is that you can change up the flavours as much as you like! Not a huge chocolate fan? Swap the chocolate and PB for some shredded carrots, dates, and coconut—bam! You’ve got carrot cake energy balls!
- 2/3 cup creamy all natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Combine all 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Place in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes so they are easier to roll.
- Roll into 12 bites and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Read the full recipe: https://chefsavvy.com/5-ingredient-peanut-butter-energy-bites/?utm_term=appetizers&utm_campaign=6792883438
Chocolate & Banana Protein Shake
- 2 scoops Chocolate Shaklee Life ShakeTM (or any chocolate protein powder)
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 banana
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of chocolate extract
- Ice as desired
- Mix all ingredients in a blender. Blend until creamy.
Read the full recipe: https://go.shaklee.com/choco-banana-shake/
Ham Egg Bites
Skip the line at Starbucks, and try these make-ahead egg bites. Depending on the toppings you choose, they freeze well, so meal-prep away!
- 1 pound sliced ham
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 eggs
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place individual ham slices over each muffin cup and gently press down in the middle until a cup shape forms.
- In the bottom of each ham cup, add in about a tablespoon of shredded cheddar cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs together.
- Stir in sliced green onions and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of the egg mixture into each of the ham cups.
- Place muffin tin in the oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes.
- When done, use a fork to gently remove each ham cup and serve.
Read the full recipe: https://www.thecountrycook.net/low-carb-baked-ham-and-egg-cups/#wprm-recipe-container-20870
Fresh Snacks – Fruits & Vegetables
This may be a little obvious, but we wanted to show you some alternatives to make raw fruits and vegetables the snack you reach for as your go-to!
Perfect for a summer-time cool-down snack! Portion grapes into containers and put them in the freezer. When you’re ready for a frozen treat, take out your ready-made snack. Pro-tip: frozen grapes are also a fun way to chill down white wine without watering it down like ice cubes do—although we’re not encouraging wine as a snack…
Dip Into New Flavours
Add extra energy and excitement to your tray of raw veggies with protein-packed dips. We recommend hummus, tzatziki, guacamole, or bean dip. The key is to make sure you’re eating more vegetables than dip though… dunk lightly!
Prep is key!
If you have your fruits and veggies ready to go, you’re more likely to eat them! If you don’t have a ton of time to cut and portion, buy the pre-cut ones. Cut them into interesting shapes, put them into colourful containers to grab your attention. Try one new thing a week as a challenge. Whatever it takes to get more fruits and veggies into your diet, do it!
Listen… we know you’ve heard this one before. But have you tried these toppings?
- Avocado with balsamic vinegar
- Peanut butter with chia seeds
- Feta cheese with cherry tomatoes
- Tuna with lettuce
- Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Apples with brie (just a small slice)
- Hummus with cucumbers
The options are endless with this snack! Also, have you tried the various seasonings that rice cakes come in these days? Sun-dried tomato? Dill pickle? Rice cakes don’t have to be boring!
If you stick to the same plain old snacks, you’re bound to fall off the wagon and opt for less-healthy alternatives. Keep it fresh and keep it interesting to keep on track with your fitness and nutrition goals.
If you’re struggling with nutrition accountability, we can help! Our members receive nutrition guidance, recipes, and tips to complement their workout plan and lifestyle. We’re here to help you achieve your goals!
Our 6 week new member program is the perfect place to start! Click here to learn more