Even if you’re halfway around the world, we’ve got your back! You don’t have to sacrifice all your hard work when on vacation or traveling for business. You’ve got to remember that this is long game; a lifestyle. While you may not be sticking to your normal routine when on vacation, even just working out for 20 minutes a day can make all the difference in the world to keeping you on track with your goals! You’ll feel great once you’re done and you’ll be glad you did it!
TIPS FOR STAYING FIT ON THE ROAD
DO A BIT OF RESEARCH AHEAD OF TIME
– Does your hotel have a gym? If not, is there a gym nearby that offers drop-ins or trial passes?
– What about other activities you can do while you’re there? Hiking trails, swimming, biking, etc. Vacation can actually be a great time to ramp up your activity level, have fun, and get the whole family involved! Challenge yourself to try some new activities and to get moving as much as possible!
– Bring comfortable workout clothes and running shoes so you are ready to go
– Make a workout playlist on your phone ahead of time of your favourite tunes to keep you hyped while getting your fit on!
– 1 resistance band to complete your “BEACH BLAST” workout below! Resistance bands are inexpensive, light and easy to pack. We sell them in the studio if you need one before your next trip.
THINK ABOUT YOUR NUTRITION
Even the best exercise plans can be dashed if you throw away all of your good eating habits while on vacation. Here are a few tips to think about:
– Do you have a kitchen in your accommodations? It can be a great idea to grocery shop and make some homemade meals/snacks instead of eating out the whole time.
– If you are eating out try to make good choices. Focus on sources of lead protein and try to get in servings of vegetables and fruits with every meal.
– Take some snacks with you such as homemade protein bars/balls, nuts, roasted chickpeas, etc that are non-perishable and easy to through in your bags. (check out healthy recipes on our blog)
– Stay hydrated, especially in hot desinations and when you are very active. Go easy on the sugary and alcoholic drinks which can add a ton of empty calories that add up fast over a week or two away.
YOUR 20 MINUTE BEACH BLAST WORKOUT
Warm-ups (20 seconds each X 2 rounds)
Hip adductor rock back
The Blaster: 4 Rounds Each
1. Body weight squats x 15-20 reps
Add a resistance band loop by standing in the loop with arms overhead in a Y position.
2. Push-ups x 8-20 reps
When performing these, make sure to keep elbows nice and tucked on your sides at all times. If full body pushup is too difficult, then go on your knees and start from there.
3. Full Body Plank 60-120 seconds
Hold position for 1-2 minutes. Breathe nice and deep while flexing abs musculature and glutes. This can always be performed inclined on edge of bed/chair/bench if being on the ground is too difficult.
4. Single-arm Row x 20 each reps
Grab your band and attach it at chest height at the beach or hotel gym. Get creative and use a tree to fasten your band outdoors.
5. Side-to-side Skaters 60 seconds
Make sure to clear your surroundings so you do not trip over anything, perform side to side step skaters for a total of 1 minute without stopping.
AND JUST HAVE LOTS OF FUN!!
You can see that your vacation workouts don’t need to be something out of this world, as a matter of fact the simpler the better! Round up a game of beach volleyball while you’re at it and just have an amazing time!!!
And post a picture or video on Facebook for us, we’d love to see you get active while you’re away!
Staying true to your game can be fun, fitness is a lifestyle!